The New York Times management was dancing some fancy moves this week trying to unscramble as mess created by the Metro Desk’s Section Chief. Change is coming to the Times and that is something that is met with a lot of mistrust and suspicion. that is a part of what happened here. The memo was written, and according to management, the message in the memo was grossly misunderstood. Here is what set this tempest off.
As Written and Reported By Keith J. Kelly for the New York Post:
The News Guild of New York, which represents the 40-plus journalists in the section, called Levy’s memo a “public fragging” by Times management and said his offer of “voluntary” buyouts as the section became more web-focused was “an unexpected threat to our journalism and our jobs.”
In a bid to diffuse anger in the ranks, top brass showed up for a town hall meeting Friday afternoon, including the newish publisher, AG Sulzberger, executive editor Dean Baquet, CEO Mark Thompson and Levy, the Pulitzer Prize-winning metro editor whose memo last week triggered the uproar.
In particular, they were forced to diffuse concerns about Levy’s allegation that some metro deskers were resistant to adapting to the digital age.
“This public fragging of journalists by a Times manager with a manufactured narrative of staff obstinacy — should make every decent member of management cringe,” the guild said in a late-Thursday memo to its members. “It has been met with disgust by….
KEEP READING THERE IS EVEN MORE AT THE LINK BELOW: